19 Kasım 2007 Pazartesi

Tenses

GRAMMAR POINTS

1.TENSES

SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE

We use simple present tense for the following functions and expressions.

a. to show habits, ability and customs

She always gets up at six o’clock in the morning.
He usually goes to Antalya in summer.
I speak Turkish and English.

b. to show general truth

The world is round.
The sun rises in the east and sets in the west.
Sheep eat grass.


c. to show request and commands

Clean this area immediately.
Come here when you are available.

d. to show future time when it is used with a future time adverbial

They graduate next month.
I come in the evening.
The movie starts at six o’clock


PRESENT CONTINUOUS TENSE

Present Continuous Tense consists of be and ing form of the verb. We use present continuous tense fort he following functions.

a. to show an activity that is in progress at the moment of speaking. This activity may end at some point in the future.

They are studying just now.
The phone is ringing.
She is attending the college
.

b. to show future time when it is used with a future adverbial.

I am leaving tomorrow.
He is going fishing in the afternoon.
They are taking the guitar lessons in the morning.



CONTINUOUS TENSE’LERLE KULLANILMAYAN FİİLLER


DÜŞÜNMEYE İLİŞKİN FULLER (MENTAL STATE)

think * realize understand suppose
notice feel recognize doubt
imagine know remember prefer
forget want believe
need mean

DUYGU BELİRTEN FULLER (EMOTIONAL STATE)

love dislike loathe forgive
hate appreciate fear desire
like detest envy
mind wish care

SAHİPLİK BİLDİREN FiiLLER (POSSESSION)

possess have * own belong

DUYU FİİLLERİ (SENSE PERCEPTIONS)

see * hear smell*
taste * feel *

DİĞER DURUM BİLDİREN FİİLLER

look * owe be * seem cost appear* weigh * advise exist sound
promise consist of refuse include contain


Note: * Yanında yıldız olan fiiller, farklı bir anlam taşıdıkları zaman, sürerlik bildiren tense'lerle kullanılabilirler.

NONPROGRESSIVE OR PROGRESSIVE

NONPROGRESSIVE

think "sanmak, zannetmek'
I think she is a student.
I think they will visit us next week.
see "görmek'
Right now, I'm looking out of the window, and I see lots of people in the street.
smell "kokmak"
This perfume smells very nice.
These flowers smell awful.
taste (bir nesnenin tadından söz ediyorsak)
This soup tastes awful. I can't eat it. (Çorbanın tadı berbat.)
The dinner looks bad but tastes delicious. (Yemeğin görüntüsü kötü ama tadı güzel.)
feel (bir nesnenin bize verdiği duyguyu ifade ederken; "sezinlemek, ummak" anlamında)
This pillow feels very hard. (This pillow is very hard./Bu yastık çok sert.)
I feel (that) something bad will happen. (Kötü bir şeylerin olacağını hissediyorum.)
look "gibi görünmek'
You look ill. You'd better go home.
That ladder doesn't look safe.
appear "gibi görünmek"
The teacher appears to be in a bad mood today.
She appears to be bored with the film.
weigh (bir nesnenin ağırlığını söylerken)
The baby weighs six kilograms.
be (genel bir durum ifade ederken am, is, are)
You are very rude. (Çok kabasın.)
(Kişinin genelde kaba biri olduğunu belirtir.)
have (sahiplik bildiriyorsa)
I don't have much money now. She has two brothers.

PROGRESSIVE

think "düşünmek"
I'm thinking about going abroad next year. She is thinking about her family.
see "görüşmek"
The doctor is seeing his patient now. The manager is seeing the applicant now.
smell "koklamak"
Look! Mother is smelling the flowers. Why are you smelling the milk?
taste "tadına bakmak'
Look! The judges are tasting my dish right now. I can't wait to hear the result.
feel "hissetmek"
1 feel better now./I'm feeling better now. (Şimdi kendimi daha iyi hissediyorum.)
look "bakmak'
Why are you looking out of the window?
appear "(ortaya) çıkmak"
The comedian is appearing nightly at the Broken Door club.
weigh "tartmak"
The butcher is weighing the meat now.
be (konuşma anında bir değişimi ifade ederken am/is/are being)
You are being rude. (Kabalaşıyorsun.) (Kişinin konuşma sırasında kaba davrandığını belir­tir. "Kabalık" kişinin genel bir özelliği olmayabilir.)
have (eylem bildiriyorsa)
She is having breakfast now.
Father can't come to the phone. He is having a shower right now.


SIMPLE PAST TENSE

We use Simple Past Tense fort he following functions:

a. to indicate a state or activity that refers to a specific past time. It may be used with a past adverbial.

She saw her brother two weeks ago.
He got up at five o’clock in the morning.
They drove to Antalya yesterday.

b. to indicate some activities that happened and were finished at a specific time.

Yesterday, he studied until noon for the exam.
I worked for that company for six years.



PAST CONTINUOUS TENSE


Past Continuous Tense consists of the past verb be and ing form of the verb. We use past continuous tense fort he following functions.

a. to indicate an action that was already in progress at a particular moment of point in the past . The action began before the moment of point and went on.

She was watching TV at 8 o’clock last night.
He wasn’t walking in the park yesterday morning.

b. to indicate a period of time during which another action occured.

While I was reading my book, he came in.
While he was driving his car, he ran into a rabbit.


c. to indicate that two continuous activities were going on at the same time.

He was doing his homework while his mother was making a cake for him.
They were digging the hole in the gardenwhile you were sitting behind the wall.


WHEN and WHILE SENTENCES

Past Continuous Tense "when" ve "while" cümlelerinde çok sık kullanılan bir tense'dir. Geçmişte devam etmekte olan bir eylem sırasında bir başka eylem olmuşsa, bu durumu şu cümlelerle ifade ederiz.

I was eating dinner when the guests arrived. (Konuklar geldiğinde yemek yiyordum.)
I hurt my leg while I was playing football. (Futbol oynarken bacağımı incittim.)

WHEN

I. "When" ile kurulmuş bir zarf cümleciği (adverbial clause), genellikle temel cümledeki
(main clause) eylemin devam etmekte olduğu zamanı açıklar. "Bir eylem olduğunda bir başka eylem oluyordu" biçiminde bir anlam taşır. Bu nedenle "when" in bağlı bulunduğu cümlede Simple Past, temel cümlede ise Past Continuous kullanılır.


When he came in. I was studying. (O içeri girdiğinde, ben ders çalışıyordum.)adverbial clause main clause
I was reading when he came in. (O geldiğinde, ben kitap okuyordum.)
When I went out, it was raining. (Dışarı çıktığımda yağmur yağıyordu.)
They were arguing when I entered the room. (Odaya girdiğimde, tartışıyorlardı.)


When + Simple Past, Past Continuous

II."When" arka arkaya yapılmış eylemleri anlatmak için de kullandır. Bu durumda her iki cümlenin de tense'i Simple Past'dır.

When he arrived, we went into the cinema. (First he came. Then we entered the cinema.)
(O gelince, sinemaya girdik.)
When he left work, he got on a bus and went home.
When the teacher asked a question, I raised my hand to answer it.

When + Simple Past, Simple Past

WHILE

I. "While" cümleciği genellikle, temel cümledeki eylem sırasında devam etmekte olan bir başka eylemi anlatmak için kullanılır. Bu nedenle, "while" in bağlı bulunduğu cümle Past Continuous, temel cümle ise Simple Past'dır.

While I was studying, he came in. (Ben ders çalışırken o geldi.)
I left home while my parents were sleeping.
I took a photograph while you weren't looking.


While + Past Continuous, Simple Past

NOTE: Bu tür cümlelerde "while" yerine "when" kullanmak da mümkündür, ancak "while" kullanımı daha yaygındır.

When/While I was walking home from work, I bumped into an old friend on the street.
Very often, stray dogs and cats are hit by cars when/while they are crossing the street.
Yesterday, a stray dog was nearly hit by a car when/while itwas crossing the street.


II. "While" cümleciği, temel cümledeki eylemle aynı anda olan bir eylemi anlatmak için de kullanılır. Bu durumda her iki cümle de Simple Past Tense ile kurulur.

I sang while I washed the dishes. (Bulaşıkları yıkarken şarkı söyledim.) She watched me while I made the cake. (Ben kek yaparken o beni izledi.) I watted outside while she had an interview. (O görüşme yaparken ben dışarıda bekledim.)

While + Simple Past, Simple Past

III."While" birbirine paralel devam eden iki eylemi anlatmak için de kullanılır. Bu durumda her iki cümlede de Past Continuous Tense kullanılır. "While"ın bu biçimde kullanımıyla genellikle yakınma, içerleme gibi duygular ifade edilir.

While the teacher was lecturing, the students were talking among themselves. (Öğretmen ders anlatırken öğrenciler kendi aralarında konuşuyorlardı.}
I was studying while everybody at home was sleeping. (Evde herkes uyurken ben ders çalışıyordum.)


While + Past continuous, Past

IV. "While" ile aynı anlamı veren bir diğer bağlaç "as" dir.

While/As I was coming here, I ran into an old friend.
I had a look at the old magazines while/as I waited at the doctor's.


"Just as", daha vurgulu bir anlatımdır.

The postman came just as I was leaving home. (Tam ben evden çıkarken, postacı geldi.)
Just as I sat down at the table, the phone rang. (Tam masaya oturdum ki telefon çaldı.)

Hiç yorum yok: